Woolacombe beach in North Devon has been voted best rated beach in the UK by TripAdvisor users. The beautiful beach beat Weymouth Beach in Dorset to the top spot with St Brelade’s Bay Beach in St. Brelade, Jersey in the Channel Islands is in third place. Woolacombe beach is backed by sandy hills and the Woolacombe Downs and boasts a three-mile long stretch of golden sand and rolling, unbroken surf which makes it the ideal hotspot for surfers. The sheer length of the beach means that there is no shortage of sand to sit down and relax on during the busy summer months.
Our home, Cornwall, bagged the most number of awards of any county in the UK with 7 winning beaches and 4 of these are in the top 10. St Ives cemented it’s place as one of the best holiday locations in the UK – 3 of St Ives beaches are in the top 10!
Newquay’s Fistral Beach and Porth Beach come in sixth and 18th respectively while Perranporth Beach in Perranporth is named eighth best rated in the UK and Crantock Beach in Crantock places 19th. Elsewhere, Wales is home to four winners this year; Rhossili Bay in Rhossili, Barafundle Beach in Stackpole, Barmouth Beach in Barmouth and Castle Beach in Tenby, which place fourth, 20th, 23rd and 25th respectively.
Travellers’ Choice Beaches Award-winners were determined based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings for beaches on TripAdvisor gathered over a 12-month period.
Top 10 beaches in the UK
1. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
2. Weymouth Beach, Weymouth, Dorset
3. St. Brelade’s Bay Beach, St. Brelade, Jersey
4. Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Swansea
5. Porthmeor Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
6. Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
7. Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
8. Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
9. Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
10. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris